Bags under eyes: Causes & How to get rid of them
You wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and stare in horror at what you see: bags under your eyes. You look exhausted and run down. Your eyes are puffy and inflamed. How did this happen, and more importantly, can you get rid of it? You grab for your makeup, thinking there must be a better way.
This nightmare doesn’t have to be a problem because there are better ways. This is a known problem in beauty circles, and there is a treatment for bags under eyes.
Where do bags under eyes come from?
You are probably wondering what causes bags under the eyes. There are many reasons people develop them. There is a genetic component, so if your close family has this problem then there’s a good chance you will too.
Bags under the eyes can also come from allergies. If the bags are due to allergies, the medication should get rid of the problem quickly. There are other medical conditions which can lead to bags, such as thyroid problems which can swell the eyes.
Sleep can lead to getting bags under your eyes. This is an issue which can develop if you don’t get enough sleep. In addition, drinking too little water can lead to the same problem. Dehydration can make the skin under your eyes droop.
Too much salt in your diet is another potential cause of bags. It causes you to retain water, leading to puffiness under the eyes.
Stress can bring on eye bags, so it’s important to try to keep your levels of anxiety and stress in check. Try techniques like yoga and meditation, or mindfulness for healthy skin.
Can bags under eyes go away?
Fortunately, there are many ways to get rid of bags under the eyes, and many of them involve simple lifestyle changes. There are also some bags under the eyes home remedies. If you have the patience, you can try some of the tricks we’ll let you in on and improve the appearance of your eyes quickly.
How do you get rid of bags under your eyes?
There are some lifestyle things you can do to either lessen the chance of getting eye bags or help cover them up. Here are 12 natural ways to get rid of under eye bags:
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet – Salt leads to water retention, which can create bags under your eyes. Try to stop adding extra salt to your meals. The amount we get naturally from skincare foods is enough to meet our daily requirements.
- If you have allergies, use medication – Don’t hesitate to use antihistamines if you have allergies to something in the air that you can’t avoid. This will do a lot to remove those bags from under your eyes, and it will make you feel better.
- Use makeup to mask the bags under your eyes – If the bags under the eyes cause you to feel uncomfortable or insecure, you can use makeup to cover them up, and it won’t make the problem worse. Consequently, some concealer should do a lot towards erasing those bags.
- Use a cool cloth and press it under your eyes – Applying a cold compress to your eyes can shrink the blood vessels, reducing the bags. Try a cold cloth, or even a bag of ice as long as it’s wrapped in a cloth. Anything really cold should do the trick.
- Use an extra pillow to prop up your head Sleeping with an extra pillow ensures that fluids don’t build up in your head area. This is one factor that could lead to bags. Propping up your head ensures proper drainage.
- Take off your makeup This includes all of your eye makeup too. Not removing your makeup before bed is one of the culprits that can lead to eye bags. It can also clog your pores and cause acne and other skin problems.
- Try not to smoke Smoking can make eye bags much worse. If you’re a smoker and you’re having trouble with this issue, you may want to consider quitting.
- Use sunblock when you’re outside The effect of the UV rays on the skin of the eyes can be devastating because it’s so thin and delicate. Remember to wear sunblock if you’re going to be out and do put it around your eyes. The sun can exacerbate eye bags.
- Use chilled tea bags – This is a long-used remedy for bags under the eyes. Make tea, and then put the bags in the fridge for half and hour. Squeeze them out and then lay one under each eye. Sit still for about 20 minutes, allowing the caffeine from the tea to seep into your eyes. It will improve circulation to the region, decreasing eye bags. As such, this is probably the bags under eyes best treatment.
- Consume Vitamin C – Vitamin C is high in antioxidants, which can repair skin damage. It also initiates the production of collagen. This makes your sensitive skin firmer and more elastic and helps hydrate it. Therefore, it can help reduce eye bags and it also has anti-aging benefits like lessening wrinkles on the forehead and under eye wrinkles.
- Drink a lot of water – Being dehydrated is one of the causes of bags under the eyes. Thus, make sure you drink a lot of water during the day to prevent this from happening.
- Wrinkle cream for Eyes – Using an eye cream for bags under the eyes is a good idea, and there are plenty of excellent products on the market such as Boots No. 7 Serum, La Mer Cream, Instantly Ageless, and Image Skin Care. These products contain ingredients like Argireline, Vitamin E, Peptides, Glycolic Acid, Retinol, Hyaluronic Acid, Silicones and are rich in anti-inflammatory agents which may help reduce puffiness, dark circles under the eyes and other skin care conditions.
List of Other Brands You May Want To Consider
- SIO Beauty
- Plexaderm Skincare
- Jeunesse Global
- Nerium Skin Care
- The Ordinary Skin Care
- Rodan + Fields
- Murad Skin Care
- Mary Kay Skin Care
People Also Ask
Q: Can bags under the eyes become permanent?
A: No, don’t worry, under eye bags are rarely if ever permanent. Most of the time they result from temporary conditions, and either go away on their own or when you have done something to treat them.
Q: Can bags under the eyes be genetic?
A: Yes, in fact being prone to having bags under your eyes is often a genetic condition. Certain families simply develop bags more easily. However, being genetically prone to something isn’t the only factor in whether you will get it. The way you live your life is a key factor.
Q: Can bags under eyes be surgically removed?
A: Yes, there is a surgical treatment for bags under the eyes. The surgeon lifts up the skin, so it doesn’t sag. Often people who have bags for genetic reasons get surgery for under-eye bags.
Q: Are bags under eyes unattractive?
A: Bags aren’t really unattractive; they just make you look tired and a little run down. They don’t mar your appearance in any major way. However, many people do not like the way they look and want to get rid of them.
Q: Are bags under eyes normal?
A: Bags are quite normal in the sense that they are very common, and everyone gets them sometimes. They’re pretty much a universal problem, coming from universal causes like lack of sleep and allergies.
Q: Does sleeping early get rid of eye bags?
A: Yes, infrequent and erratic sleep patterns inhibit the body from repairing itself, which can make your eyes appear puffy and swollen. Seven to eight hours of sleep every night can reduce the appearance of under-eye bags.
Q: How many days does it take to get rid of eye bags?
A: Most people find that swelling and bruising decreases significantly in about 10 to 14 days to the point that they feel comfortable going out in public again. Always call your eye doctor if you have any unusual symptoms or pain that may indicate post-surgery problems.
Bags under eyes are a problem familiar to everyone since everyone gets them sometimes. They appear as puffy skin under the eye that’s very visibly sticking out. They make you look exhausted and worn out, which is not a look most people appreciate.
There are many different reasons for developing bags under the eyes, from allergies to stress to poor sleep. Luckily, there are lifestyle changes and you can make which can eliminate the bags.
Some of these include drinking water, avoiding stress, using a cold compress, quitting smoking, and taking off your makeup before bed. In addition, there are also techniques like cold compresses and tea bags under the eyes that you can try.
On the whole, if you have eye bags, this is not a problem you have to worry about for long. There are many ways to eliminate the issue and go back to your fresher looking self.