What Are Frown Lines?
As we get older, signs of age can appear on the skin. These include wrinkles, crow’s feet, bags under eyes, and expression lines. Many people find these lines upsetting and search for ways to eliminate them. There are natural, lifestyle solutions for erasing aging lines, and there are also medical treatments you can try.
Frown lines develop in two places, in between the eyebrows and on the forehead. Although their title implies that they come from too much frowning, this is not the only reason. In fact, the causes of frown lines are a little more diverse than that.
Frown Lines Causes – Why Do Frown Lines Appear?
With the passing of the years, the amount of collagen and elastin in our skin diminishes. This causes the skin to be less firm and flexible, and it can sag. Forehead wrinkles and lines then appear, including frown lines.
Another factor influencing the development of frown lines is the tiny muscle movements we make with our faces every day, including yes, frowning. Over time, this can turn into permanent lines on the skin.
As we age, the skin on our faces becomes much thinner and weaker. This leaves it more vulnerable to damage, which may appear in the form of wrinkles and lines either on the forehead and between the eyes or elsewhere.
In addition, the sun’s rays are incredibly damaging to sensitive skin. If you spend a lot of time in the sun without using sunblock, over the years you may end up developing signs of age, including frown lines.
Genetics also play a role in whether you will develop fine lines or not. If your close family members developed frown lines early, you may as well.
Smoking is also a factor. Smokers are much more likely to develop frown lines. Finally, stress is a big cause of wrinkles under the eyes, including frown lines.
How to Get Rid of Frown Lines: Natural and Home Remedies
There are a number of home remedies and lifestyle changes which can do a lot to reduce the appearance of frown lines and prevent them from developing. Here are some suggestions (1):
- Healthy Diet – Following a nutritious diet can do a lot to enhance the quality of your skin. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and include omega fatty acids to provide your skin with additional hydration. Add foods for healthy skin complexion with antioxidants to help repair damage to the skin, and anti-inflammatory properties to lessen skin redness. For example, nuts, lean meats, seafood, berries, carrots, onions, eggplant, and grapes.
- Sleep Well – Sleeping poorly can really affect your skin, and it can contribute to the development of lines and other wrinkles on the face. It’s important to get a good, solid sleep every night of at least 7 or 8 hours. This could contribute to preventing you from developing frown lines.
- Use Sunscreen – The sun can do incredible damage to the skin if you don’t protect yourself. It’s important to use sunblock every time you leave the house, in every season. The compound damage over time can be considerable if you don’t. This can help to prevent the development of additional wrinkles or frown lines.
- Follow a Skin Routine – To keep your skin in good condition, it’s crucial that you follow a regular skin care routine every day and week. Cleanse, tone, and moisturize your skin twice a day and exfoliate twice a week. This could slow the development of wrinkles.
- Drink a Lot of Water – Drinking water is very good for the skin, so you should try to consume about 8 glasses a day at least. The liquid goes under your skin and helps to smooth wrinkles like fine lines.
How To Treat Frown Lines
Treatment for frown lines takes several forms. There are medical procedures you get to have which are usually very effective. However, there are also some natural methods you can use which work well.
- Anti-Aging Creams – There are a number of natural creams on the market which are very enriching for the skin. These products use completely organic ingredients like vitamin E, and they help to hydrate and provide antioxidants which repair damage to the skin barrier. There are many affordable products available which are effective at removing the signs of age such as Beverly Hills MD, StriVectin, Obagi Skin Care, and Murad Skin Care.
- Microneedling – This procedure involves using a device which inserts many tiny holes into your skin. Sometimes they apply a retinol serum to the holes afterward. The tiny cuts on the skin will heal and this will create more collagen. Therefore, it has anti-aging benefits, making the skin firm and helping to smooth out lines.
- Chemical Peel – This process involves applying alpha hydroxy acid to the skin in a thin layer. This removes the outer layer of skin and can do a lot to remove frown lines and other abrasions on the skin.
- Botox – You can get Botox for frown lines, and it works very well. This involves an injection of the substance into your skin. This stops the muscles from moving, which diminishes the appearance of lines. You’ll be amazed by the frown lines Botox before and after.
- Dermal Fillers – You can get fillers for frown lines. This involves inserting gel-like substances into your skin, to give it more volume. As a consequence, this smooths out lines on the skin, and it can enhance the contour of the face.
- Facial Massage – Getting a regular facial massage can be very helpful for the skin. It stimulates the blood flow, which improves the health of the skin and gives it a radiant glow. In addition, it can help to lessen lines on the face.
- Silicone Pads – These are made of 100% metal grade silicon. You can wear them on your face, and they prevent the muscles from moving. This lessens the chance of developing wrinkles and expression lines.
Can Retinol Help Frown Lines?
Retinol is Vitamin A, and it’s very potent at removing signs of age from the face. It’s high in antioxidants which repair damage to the skin barrier and improve the overall immunity of the skin. Consequently, this helps to eliminate frown lines.
People Also Ask
Q: Are Frown Lines Normal?
A: Yes, they are perfectly normal. In fact, most people will develop them at some point in their lives. They are nothing to worry about, and there are a number of treatment approaches you can take to get rid of them.
Q: Which Muscles Cause Lines?
A: Horizontal frown lines come from a muscle called the procerus, which is in the middle of your brow. Vertical frown lines are from the corrugator supercilia muscles. These are directly above the eyebrows (2).
Q: What Causes Lines Between the Eyebrows?
A: There are many possible causes of frown lines between the eyebrows, or perhaps multiple causes. Sometimes this problem occurs because of age, and the loss of collagen and elastin in the skin over time. There are other triggers like sun damage, stress, and muscle movements. In addition, there’s a genetic component. If your parents have frown lines, you may also end up with them.
Q: Are They Permanent?
A: There’s a possibility that they could be permanent, but not necessarily. There are a number of treatments as well as lifestyle changes you could make to eliminate your lines.
Q: Are Lines Unattractive?
A: No, they are not really unattractive at all. They indicate a life well lived filled with laughter and emotion a lot of the time. They give the face character. Despite this, many people want to get rid of them. Society pushes us to look younger and get rid of the signs of aging. However, don’t let this get you down. Aging is a natural process.
How Do I Cover The Lines?
You can use makeup to cover up frown lines. Begin with a good concealer and apply it to the areas where you have lines. Then use foundation over the concealer. Finish it off with some powder. This should really help to lessen the appearance of frown lines.
Some people say that if you smile a lot you won’t get frown lines, but that’s not really true. There’s a number of possible causes of this problem including the sun, genetics, smoking, repeated muscle movements in the face, stress, and loss of collagen with age.
It is possible to get rid of these frown lines by following some lifestyle recommendations and seeking treatment. Following a healthy diet, sleeping well, drinking water, and using skin care products like Rodan + Fields, Clinique, Instantly Ageless, and Plexaderm are all helpful in diminishing lines. In addition, there are treatments like chemical peels and botox which can be very effective.
Whatever approach you choose to take, we hope it eliminates you’re fine lines for good and leaves you feeling confident and happy with the condition of your skin.