With advancing age, wrinkles can develop on the face, including under the eyes. The area under the eyes is very delicate, with thin, vulnerable skin. For this reason, it’s easier to develop lines here compared to the rest of the face. You may see under eye wrinkles when smiling. It’s important to nourish this area to make sure you lessen the chances of this happening. If you’ve already developed these lines, there is a treatment for under eye wrinkles which can eliminate them.
What Are Under Eye Wrinkles?
Under-eye wrinkles are lines that can develop in this area over time. They are indicative of damage to the skin which is due to both biological factors and the way you have taken care of your skin over the years. They are signs of increasing age and may get worse as the years progress unless you do something to reverse them. Let’s consider the various causes of under-eye wrinkles.
What Causes Under Eye Wrinkles?
As we get older, the amount of collagen and elastin in the skin diminishes. Since collagen keeps the skin firm and elastin keeps it flexible, this loss leads to sagging skin which develops into wrinkles. The skin under the eye is very thin and is the most susceptible to these lines.
Many under eye wrinkles develop due to continued facial movements over the years, which eventually solidify into these lines. One of these facial movements is squinting. If you have problems with your eyes, get them checked or you could end up with additional wrinkles.
According to the Mayo Clinic, smoking and vaping are one of the greatest causes of wrinkles in both men and women. This is because these substances accelerate the skin’s aging process. Therefore the longer and heavier you smoke, the more wrinkles on the forehead and around the eyes you’ll develop. (1)
Exposure to the sun is one of the biggest cause of wrinkles. The UV rays causes damage, and this is especially true of the area under the eyes because it’s so thin. Consequently, there’s less protection against possible harm.
Another under eye wrinkles cause is rubbing your eyes. People who have allergies may do this more often than others, putting themselves at risk.
Finally, the position you choose to sleep in and the pillow you use can lead to additional wrinkles under the eyes. Continually pressing your face against a pillow can cause extra lines.
How to Prevent Under Eye Wrinkles
Are you wondering how to prevent under-eye wrinkles at home? We have a number of suggestions. If you haven’t developed these lines yet, there are many things you can do to make sure it doesn’t happen, or it doesn’t happen as much. Consider the following points:
- Drink Water – Hydrating your body as much as possible will have a profound effect on your dehydrated skin. It will moisturize deeply, eliminate dry skin, and it can also give the skin volume. As a consequence, this smooths out wrinkles and frown lines. Keep in mind that water will go to your other organs before the skin, so you do have to drink a lot. (2)
- Protect Yourself from the Sun – The sun’s UV rays are very damaging to the skin and are one of the factors that can lead to early wrinkles. When you go outside, not only should you use a strong sunblock, you should also wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Sleep Well – Sleeping poorly on a consistent basis is one of the causes of developing wrinkles under the eyes. Research has discovered that sleep deprivation led to more lines and wrinkles, dark circles under the eyes, redder eyes, and hanging eyelids. (3) To keep your skin in good shape, get at least 7 hours of sleep every night.
- Follow a Healthy Diet – This is an under-eye wrinkles home remedy. The nutrition you take is very important for your skin. These nutrients travel to the skin and support their health. Consequently, you should be eating lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and foods high in antioxidants like berries, seafood, and lean meat. Avoid refined sugars, as they can have a devastating impact on the skin.
- Avoid Alcohol and Smoking – Smoking is the strongest predictor of developing wrinkles. It speeds up aging both on the face and on the rest of the body. (1) Alcohol is also very damaging to the skin over time. It can cause redness on the face, and with time can even lead to broken blood vessels. (4)
- Follow a Strict Skin Routine – One of the best ways to prevent future wrinkles is to take good care of your skin on a consistent basis. Have a routine you follow every night and every morning using high-quality products. You should cleanse, tone, exfoliate, and moisturize. Use wrinkle cream for eyes such as La Mer Cream, Instantly Ageless, and The Ordinary Skin Care. In addition, a couple of times a week apply a good mask.
How to Treat Under Eye Wrinkles
Treatment for under eye wrinkles is quite diverse, as there are a number of methods you can try. Most of these procedures are not very invasive and they’re quite effective. Here are some of the possible treatments and best procedure for under eye wrinkles:
- Anti-Aging Eye Cream – If you want to know how to reduce under-eye wrinkles in the least invasive way, it’s by using good under eye wrinkles cream like Image Skin Care, Nu Skin, Advanced Dermatology, Meaningful Beauty, and SIO Beauty. There are plenty of good quality brands on the market which have hydrating and firming ingredients for the skin such as peptides, Argireline, Vitamin E, retinol, and hyaluronic acid. In addition, some of them only take a few weeks before you see the removal of under-eye wrinkles. Others are more short term, and you have to keep using them on a daily basis to get results.
- Botox – This is very effective under eye wrinkles treatment which involves an injection to the area under the eyes. This slows muscle movements and makes it appear as if there are less wrinkles. Initial results appear in about 3-4 days, and more potent effects take 3-4 months. (5)
- Fillers – In this procedure, fillers for under eye wrinkles are injected into the area under the eye. This gives the skin more volume, smoothing out wrinkles around the eyes i.e crows feet. This is a short-term solution, as it only lasts 6 months to 2 years. (6)
- Chemical Peels – This under eye wrinkles treatment involves spreading alpha hydroxy acid on the area, leaving it for a period of time, and then removing it. This actually takes off the upper layer of skin, helping to eliminate wrinkles and other lines and refreshing the skin cells. It will not get rid of very deep wrinkles, but it will have an effect.
- Lasers – The use of laser for under eye wrinkles are becoming very common. There are several types of lasers, but for the most part, they all stimulate the release of collagen in the area. The under-eye wrinkles laser makes the skin firmer and smooths out wrinkles. You’ll be amazed by the under eye wrinkles before and after.
People Also Ask
Q: Are Under Eye Wrinkles Normal?
A: Under-eye wrinkles are certainly typical, as a lot of people do develop them. However, that does not mean that they’re inevitable. If you take good care of your skin from a young age and diligently follow the tips we have suggested for prevention, you may not develop lines under eyes.
Q: When Do Under Eye Wrinkles Start?
A: It really depends on how well you have taken care of your skin. Most people develop wrinkles, including under the eyes, around middle age. However, it is possible for them to develop earlier if you don’t nourish your skin. In addition, they could develop later or not at all if you use prevention methods and high-quality skin products like Perricone MD, Proactiv, Murad Skin Care, Mary Kay, and Obagi.
Q: Are Under Eye Wrinkles Permanent?
A: Under-eye wrinkles and bags could be permanent if you don’t take care of your skin and do nothing to treat them. However, if you consider treatment for under eye wrinkles like the ones we have suggested, you can get rid of them.
Q: Will Vaseline Help Under Eye Wrinkles?
A: Vaseline is a very potent moisturizer, and you can apply it under your eyes to help get rid of under-eye wrinkles. It will eliminate dry skin and provide hydration. As a result, this gives the skin volume which can smooth out wrinkles. (7)
Q: What Causes Under Eye Wrinkles at a Young Age?
A: Many people do develop wrinkles in their 20s and 30s, but they’re dynamic wrinkles. This means you only see them when you’re in the process of making facial movements. More permanent or static wrinkles occur when you’re older. However, it is possible to develop static wrinkles earlier if you take very poor care of your skin, or for genetic reasons. (8)
Q: Are Wrinkles Under Eye Genetic?
A: Yes, under-eye wrinkles and bags do have a genetic component. If your close family member developed wrinkles under the eyes, you could as well. Consequently, people with this genetic link are the most likely to develop lines under eyes early in life. (9)
As you get older, wrinkles can develop on your sensitive skin, including the area under the eyes. This region is particularly prone to lines because the skin is thin and vulnerable. Many people dislike the appearance of these under eye wrinkles and are looking for a way to get rid of them permanently.
What’s important is to take steps to prevent these wrinkles by taking good care of your skin. You should eat a healthy diet, drink water, avoid the sun, sleep well, stay away from alcohol and smoking, and use good skincare products like Rodan + Fields, Plexaderm Eye Cream, Crepe Erase, doTERRA and Clinique Skincare consistently. However, there are also a number of treatments you can try. For example, Botox, chemical peels, and laser.
Many of these treatments are very effective for wrinkles and under eye bags and can give you back a youthful appearance. If some lines do remain, don’t worry about it too much. They are only a sign of a life well-lived.