Darren M. Smith, MD Plastic Surgeon, Aesthetic Surgeon
- Darren M. Smith, MD, is an ASPS Member plastic surgeon who is board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery® and trained specifically in plastic surgery.
- Dr. Smith is one of the only plastic surgeons in the NYC area to have completed both an aesthetic surgery fellowship and a craniofacial surgery fellowship.
- Not only loved by his patients, he is also a media favorite with appearances in Allure, ELLE, HelloBeautiful, Health Insiders and more.
Darren M. Smith, MD has a unique and highly sought-after skillset, having completed the unparalleled aesthetic surgery fellowship at the Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital in New York City and a craniofacial surgery fellowship at the world-renowned Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. Before embarking on fellowship training, Dr. Smith completed an integrated plastic surgery residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He was ultimately selected to serve as Administrative Chief Resident in the Department of Plastic Surgery. He grew up here in New York City and graduated from Brown University at the undergraduate and medical school levels.
Dr. Smith has also spent 3 years dedicated to basic science research in craniofacial biology, where his work focused on leveraging emerging protein therapy and bioprinting technologies to develop novel approaches to complex dilemmas in craniofacial biology. Additionally, Dr. Smith has an extensive background in applying 3D computer graphics techniques to procedural simulation and planning in craniofacial and aesthetic surgery, generating work that has resulted in the issuance of a US Patent and over 200 peer-reviewed publications, presentations and book chapters. He also served as Technical Copy Editor of the 6-volume Neligan Plastic Surgery text.
- Medical School - Brown University, Doctor of Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Residency in Plastic Surgery
- Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, Fellowship in Aesthetic Surgery
- The Hospital for Sick Children, Fellowship in Craniofacial Surgery
Awards and Honors
Dr. Smith has received several significant awards, most recently including the International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies Owen Cole Memorial Scholarship. He has been principal investigator on numerous grants funded by the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, the Cleft Palate Foundation, the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, and the International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies.
Dr. Smith has authored over 200 peer-reviewed publications, presentations and book chapters.