Kurt Ashack, MD, FAAD MD, FAAD
- Dr. Kurt Ashack, MD is a Dermatologist in Grand Rapids, MI. He is board certified by the American Board of Dermatology.
- Dr. Ashack is an Assistant Professor at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. He has practiced dermatology for 5 years.
- Dr. Ashack specializes in general dermatology, integrative dermatology, and has a special interest in cosmetic dermatology.
Dr. Ashack is a private practice dermatologist in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and an assistant professor at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. He completed his undergraduate studies at Hope College and a Masters of Biomedical Science at Grand Valley State University. Dr. Ashack received his medical degree from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, where he also received AOA honors and graduated in the top 5% of his class. He subsequently completed his dermatology training at the University of Illinois at Chicago where he served as the Chief Resident in his final year of training.
His research interests include connective tissue diseases, epidemiology, dermatology training across the globe, factors associated with physician burnout, radiation therapy within dermatology, and melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers. He also has a special interest in cosmetic dermatology. Dr. Ashack also has a strong passion for integrative dermatology. He recently received his certification in integrative dermatology and plans to transform his practice to treat the mind, body, and skin.
Dr. Ashack believes strongly in mentorship and is currently the advisor for the dermatology interest group at Michigan State University CHM. Additionally, he published more than 40 papers in scientific journals prior to finishing his dermatology training.
- Integrative Dermatology Certificate Program (2022)
- University of Illinois at Chicago (2020) – Dermatology training
- Ascension St. Vincent Hospital – Indianapolis (2017) – Internship hospital
- Michigan State University, College of Human Medicine (2016) – Medical degree
- Grand Valley State University (2012) – Master of Health Sciences
- Hope College (2010) – Undergraduate degree
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
Fellow (FAAD) of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Hunt S, Ashack KA, Tsoukas M, Braniecki M. A co-existing dermoid and bronchogenic cyst on the back of a child. J Cutan Pathol. 2021. [Online ahead of print]. PMID: 33590500
- Hunt S, Ashack KA. Skin Findings in Runners: More than just Black and Blue Toes! The Dermatologist. 2020;28(7):30-33.
- St Claire K, Bunney R, Ashack KA, Bain M, Braniecki M, Tsoukas MM. Langerhans cell histiocytosis: A great imitator. Clin Dermatol. 2020;38(2):223-234. PMID: 32513402
- Agnihotri G, Loucks E, Ashack K, Tsoukas M. Mycoplasma pneumonia-associated mucositis complicated by herpes simplex virus dissemination and Staphylococcus Epidermidis bacteremia. Pediatr Dermatol. 2020;37(4)769-770. PMID: 32500927.
- Ashack KA, Kuritza V, Visconti M, Ashack L. Dermatologic Sequalae Associated with Radiation Therapy. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2020;21(4):541-555. PMID: 32410134
- 6. Lagha IB, Ashack K, Menon S, Khachemoune A. What is the newly arising lesion on this patient’s scalp? JAAPA. 2020;33(5):54-55. PMID: 32345950
- Patel RA, Patel PD, Ashack K, Borrelli MR, Trickey A, Wan DC. Compounding Benefits of Sentinal Lymph Node Biopsy for Perineal Melanoma: A Population-Based Retrospective Cohort Analysis. Ann Plast Surg. 2020;84(5S Suppl 4):S257-263. PMID: 32282396
- Chandan N, Ashack KA, Hill C. Ulcers and edema in a patient with leprosy. Int J Dermatol. 2020; 59(9):1073-1075. PMID: 32185795
- Chapman S, Ashack K, Dapprich, DC. Hypertrophic lichen planus-like eruption following pembrolizumab. Cutis. 2021;107(1):E10-11. PMID:33651868
- Ring NG, Craiglow BG, Panse G, Antaya RJ, Ashack K, Ashack R, Faith EF, Paller AS, McNiff JM, Choate KA, Ko CJ. Histopathologic findings characteristic of CARD12-associated papulosquamous eruption. J Cutan Pathol. 2019;47(5):425-430. PMID: 31849081
- Dunnick CA, Lehrer M, Flaten H, Laughter MR, Mirhossani R, Schultz A, Bennett P, Ashack K, Dellavalle RP, Pearson DR. Derm Tacile Learning Tool: Development and student evaluation of an interactive 3-dimensional skin lesion model for medical student education. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 31704218
- Ben Lagha I, Ashack KA, Khachemoune A. Hailey-Hailey Disease: An Update Review with a Focus on Treatment Data. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2020;21(1):49-68. PMID: 31595434
- Puyana C, Ashack KA. Excimer Laser for Oral Lichen Planus. The Dermatologist. 2019; 27(10):46-48.
- Ashack KA. Dermatologic Manifestations in the Oral Mucosa. The Dermatologist. 2019; 27(7):44-46.
- Barber C, Ashack KA, Boulter J, Ashack RJ. Ampicillin Use in Acne. SKIN. 2019; 3(5):316-320.
- Visconti MJ, Ashack KA, Ashack RJ. Granuloma annulare: strengthening potential associates and pentoxifylline as a therapeutic option. J Dermatol Treat. 2019; 10:1-2. PMID: 31046904
- St Claire K, Hoover A, Ashack K, Khachemoune A. Extramammary Paget disease. Dermatol Online J. 2019; 25(4). PMID: 31046904
- Visconti MJ, Ashack KA. Dermatologic manifestations associated with electronic cigarette use. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019; 81(4):1001-1007. PMID: 30965061
- Schlager E, Ashack K, Khachemoune A. Erosion interdigitalis blastomycetica: A review of interdigital candidiasis. Dermatol Online J. 2018; 24(8). PMID: 30677843
- Salam A, Ashack KA, Walsh S. Technology and the dermatologist: clinical resources at our fingertips. Br J Dermatol. 2018; 179(6):1246-1247. PMID: 30508241
- Salam A, Ashack KA, Walsh S. Smartphone app review: British National Formulary (BNF). Br J Dermatol. 2018; 179(6):1424-1432. PMID: 30393981
- Patel P, Ashack KA, Aronson IK. Postpartum polymorphic eruption of pregnancy: an unusual presentation. Int J Dermatol. 2019; 58(3):357-359. PMID: 29907959
- Craiglow BG, Boyden LM, Hu R, Virtanen M, Su J, Rodriguez G, McCarthy C, Luna P, Larralde M, Humphrey S, Holland KE, Hogeling M, Hidalgo-Matlock B, Ferrari B, Fernandez-Faith E, Drolet B, Cordoro KM, Bowcock AM, Antaya RJ, Ashack K, Ashack RJ, Lifton RP, Milstone LM, Paller AS, Choate KA. CARD14-Associated Papulosquamous Eruption (CAPE): A Spectrum Including Features of Psoriasis and Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018; 79(3):487-494. PMID: 29477734
- Ashack KA, Burton KA, Barber C, St Claire K, Mounessa J, Dunnick CA, Norris DA, Dellavalle RP. Dermatology Training Across the Globe, Part II: A summary of the literature. Br J Dermatol. 2018; 178(6):1460-1461. PMID: 29451700
- Ashack KA, Ashack LL, Schlager E, Ashack RJ. Angiosarcoma following treatment of basal cell carcinoma: a report of two cases. Int J Dermatol. 2018 Apr;57(4):496-498. PMID: 29345300
- Barber C, Claire KS, Ashack KA, Dellavalle RP. Dermatology training across the globe. Br J Dermatol. 2018; 178(5):1207-1208. PMID: 29336008
- Chapman S, Ashack KA, Bell E, Sendelweck MA, Dellavalle R. Risky business: Behaviors associated with indoor tanning in US high school students. Dermatol Online J. 2017 Sep; 23(9): 3. PMID: 29469714
- Ashack KA. Review of Rook's Textbook of Dermatology, 9th edn. Christopher Griffiths, Jonathan Barker, Tanya Bleiker, Robert Chalmers, Daniel Creamer, eds. Wiley-Blackwell, 2016; 4696 pp. ISBN: 978-1118441190. Price $860. Brit J Dermatol. 2017 May; 176(6): 1673-1674. DOI: 10.1111/bjd.15621
- Ashack KA. Dermatology board exam resource review. Brit J Dermatol. 2017 May; 176(5): 1410-1411. DOI: 10.1111/bjd.15545
- St Claire C, Ashack KA, Liss W, Khachemoune A. An asymptomatic hyperpigmented tongue. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 Apr; 76(4): e115-e116. PMID: 28325409
- Schlager E, St Claire C, Ashack KA, Khachemoune A. Black Hairy Tongue: Predisposing Factors, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2017 Feb; 17(3): 563-569. PMID: 28247090
- Ashack KA, Brewer JD. Clinically atypical nevi following diode laser therapy. Int J Dermatol. 2016. 56 (5):579-580. PMID: 27495268
- Burton KA, Ashack KA, Khachemoune A. Case: Inverse Psoriasis. The Dermatologist. 2016 June; 24(6).
- Burton KA, Ashack KA, Khachemoune A. Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Review of High-Risk and Metastatic Disease. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2016 Oct; 17(5): 491-508. PMID: 27358187
- Lofgreen SJ, Ashack KA, Burton KB, Dellavalle RP. Mobile Device Use in Dermatologic Patient Care. Curr Dermatol Rep. 2016 Mar; 5(2): 77-82.
- Ashack KA, Haley LL, Luther CA, Riemer CA, Ashack RJ. Assessing the clinical effectiveness of an algorithmic approach for mucosal lichen planus: a retrospective review. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016 June; 74(6): 1073-1076.e2 PMID: 27185423
- Ashack KA, Burton KA, Soh JM, Lanoue J, Boyd AH, Milford EE, Dunnick C, Dellavalle RP. Evaluating Dermatology Residency Program Websites. Dermatol Online J. 2016 March; 22(3). PMID: 27136628
- Ashack KA, Burton KA, Dellavalle RP. Dermatology in Doximity. Dermatol Online J. 2016 Feb; 22(2). PMID: 27267188
- Ashack KA, Burton KA, Johnson TR, Currie DW, Comstock DR, Dellavalle RP. Skin Infections among US High School Athletes: A National Survey. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016 Apr; 74(4): 679-684.e1. PMID 26850656.
- Sendelweck MA, Anderson AM, Ashack KA, Pindyck T, Townley C, Dellavalle RP. Indoor Tanning is Associated with Various Substance Use among Colorado High School Students. JAMA Dermatol. 2016 May 1; 152(5): 575-7. PMID 26791966.
- Ashack KA, Burton KA, Dellavalle RP. Conflicts of interest in dermatology: A medical student and mentor perspective. Brit J Dermatol. 2015 Dec; 173(6): 1518-21. PMID: 26708549
- Ashack KA, Jansen RM, Lim HW. Abdominal Pain and Subcutaneous Nodules. JAMA. 2014 (Feb 12); 311(6): 615-616. PMID: 24519301
- Ashack KA. The Role of Saturated Fatty Acids in Connexin Expression on Endothelial Cells and Eosinophils. 2012. Masters Theses. Paper 41.http://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/theses/41