What are doTERRA Essential Oils?
doTERRA Skin Care Oils are essential oils with wellness and beauty support benefits. doTERRA, the brand behind this product line highlights that they extract their oils from natural and organic ingredients.
The brand features various essential oils such as peppermint, clary sage, bergamot, cedarwood, lavender, and ylang ylang. All of these oils promise to support health, wellness, and beauty from different angles. They may help users fight depression, anxiety, fatigue, pain, and inflammation among other health issues.
doTERRA also sells magazines and diffusers to enhance its clients’ aromatherapy experience.
Who Manufactures doTERRA Skin Care Oils?
The company that producers this line of skincare oils is doTERRA. Their mission as a brand is to offer its client base with high-quality essential oils. It claims to manufacture its essential oils from the purest and highest grade natural ingredients. The actual process with which they develop their oils includes sourcing the ingredients, testing, manufacturing, and selling the finished doTERRA essential oils to its customers. Currently, the essential oils are sold in 18 international markets.
What are the Ingredients in doTERRA Essential Oils?
The ingredients in some of the essential oils include;
- Lemon – This ingredient is categorized as a citrus essential oil. It is widely used for its bactericidal, virucidal, fungicidal, antiparasitic, insecticidal, medicinal, and cosmetic properties according to the Current Organic Chemistry journal.
- Lavender – This is a popular complementary medicine that has been in use for centuries as a therapeutic agent. According to Healthcare Infection, lavender has sedative, anti-inflammatory, and anti-depressive properties.
- Bergamot – This ingredient contains several bioactive components such as monoterpenes. In the Food Science and Nutrition journal, vapor inhalation of bergamot essential oil (BEO) is significant in reducing both stress and anxiety.
- Clary Sage – Clary sage oil is extracted from the leaves and buds of the plant and has a refreshing scent. Although it is widely used in teas and skincare, the Pain Research and Treatment Journal claims that it is successful in relieving pain. This is especially effective when combined with conventional treatment.
- Peppermint – Peppermint oil contains components such as carvone, methyl-acetate, menthone, and limonene. The pharmacological action of peppermint lies in the menthol component. According to the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, menthol has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, fungicidal, and antiseptic properties.
How Pure are doTERRA Skin Care Oils?
doTERRA claims that its essential oils are from the highest and purest quality. The company provides a “source to you” section where customers can explore where the ingredients are sourced and distilled. The company sources the ingredients from countries such as Brazil, Canada, Kenya, New Zealand, and Peru. doTERRA also gives information as to why they chose a specific country to source their ingredients. The company claims to factor in environmental stewardship and support for local rural communities while selecting the sources.
However, doTERRA has been in a long legal battle with competitor Young Living with the claims that the company sells adulterated oils. Upon finding that Young Living was also doing the same, the charges were dropped. Nevertheless, the Food and Drug Administration has warned the two companies from claiming that their oils have healing properties. It is, therefore, imperative for users to have an objective view regarding doTERRA oils.
doTERRA Skin Care Applications
doTERRA skincare oil uses include; cooking, skincare, and aromatherapy. Some of these oils include;
- Ylang ylang oil (single oil) – the ylang ylang plant has anti-inflammatory properties and is claimed to slow the aging process.
- Lavender oil (single oil) – has many benefits when used for topical applications. Lavender oil has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and healing properties.
- doTERRA serenity skincare oil (proprietary blend) – this is a Restful Blend with calming and relaxing properties. It provides a restful environment at bedtime.
- doTERRA balance skin care oil (proprietary blend) – this is a grounding blend that brings harmonizes the body and the mind thus balancing the emotions.
- doTERRA aromatouch skin care oil (proprietary blend) – this is a massage blend that has all the relaxing and comforting ingredients in the mix.
Who Sells doTERRA Essential Oils?
doTERRA skin care oils can be bought from the official website or the company’s sales representatives. The products are priced differently, some products cost;
- Cedarwood oil- $17.33
- Black pepper oil- $29.33
- Bergamot oil- $40.00
- Ylang ylang oil- $47.00
- Clary sage oil- $48.67
Where to Buy doTERRA products
If you are looking to buy doTERRA products you can purchase via the company’s website, or through one of its direct sales representatives.
Is doTERRA expensive?
Another reason why doTERRA is more expensive is that their oils are much stronger and more effective. Many of their oils have been tested to be taken internally, which contributes to why they are one of the world’s largest distributors of oils.
The essential oils for skincare doTERRA generally have positive reviews. The reason is that customers do not expect miraculous changes from essential oils as from other skincare products. The only negative aspect of this product is that it may contain synthetic ingredients.
Essential oils are known to have numerous benefits for the body and mind. They are extracted from specific plant leaves, buds, and seeds which have been proven to have health benefits.
doTERRA as a company was founded to provide the highest quality essential oils. It claims to source the ingredients from countries that uphold environmental integrity and rural support. The company also provides a wide variety of products that have various benefits to the users thus users have many options to choose from. Whether single oils or proprietary blends, the company has oils for every unique consumer need. Apart from oils, doTERRA also sells diffusers and magazines that provide aromatherapy information.
The other positive aspect of these essential oils is that they have several uses. According to the company, the oils can be used for aromatherapy, cooking, and skincare. Getting an essential oil that has versatile uses may have an economic advantage considering how pricey essential oils are.
On the flipside, doTERRA products could contain synthetic ingredients. This could cause allergic reactions in some individuals. In that regard, one would be forced to first check with the doctor before using the oils. Moreover, essential oils could cause asthmatic attacks on consumers with asthma. Irritation and burns could also be experienced if one is not keen on the directions provided by the brand.
Now that you have most of the basic information about doTERRA essential oils make a wise decision. If you feel the need to consult with your health provider as a safety measure before using this product line, do so. However, remember there are many brands in the market providing the same, so keep on searching.