What Is Clinique?
Clinique is a skincare brand that takes a clinical approach to beauty. Their products fall under five broad categories namely; skincare, targeted treatments, makeup, fragrance, and wrinkle creams for men and women. The brand prides of having been able to keep its customers loyal to their products for decades customers.
Who is the Manufacturer of Clinique?
Clinique is owned by Estee Lauder Companies and the products are manufactured by the Clinique’s laboratories. The brand came into existence in 1968 after a savvy beauty editor, Carol Philips, penned an article by the title “Can great skin be created?”
The article featured dermatologist Dr. Norman Orentreich’s insight, who suggested that great skin could be created with the simple adaption and regular use of the right regimen. The article tickled the interest of Estee Lauder, and Clinique was born.
What does Clinique Sell?
The company sells an array of products including;
- Skincare products such as the Moisture Surge 72-hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator which contains hyaluronic acid for maximum moisture retention, Dramatically Different Hydrating Jelly, and Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm.
- Targeted treatment such as Clinique acne solution products. An example is the Acne Solutions Cleansing Foam. Also, Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector and Repairwear Laser Focus.
- Makeup products such as the Even Better Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15. This product offers good coverage and improves the skin.
- Fragrance products such as Clinique Happy which is known for its citrus notes of bergamot and grapefruit. Aromatics Elixir Perfume Spray – this scent is more complex, with notes of rose, jasmine and ylang ylang.
- Men’s line products such as Clinique for Men Face Scrub. This is to be used as a pre-shave for the skin. Skin Hydrator + Beard Conditioner – multi-purpose product that is designed to improve the skin and soften beards.
What is the Clinique 3-Step Skin Care System?
Clinique products follow the Clinique’s 3 step skincare system which is essentially cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing. According to the brand, each of these steps prepares the skin for the next step. Through this system, products are organized by skin type.
- Very dry – type 1
- Dry/combo – type 2
- Combination oily – type 3
- Oily – type 4
What are the Ingredients in Clinique Products?
The ingredients in products such as the Clinique eye cream, Clinique clarifying lotion, and Clinique toner among others, include;
- Hyaluronic Acid – this ingredient is used in most cosmetics following its ability to prevent infections and allergic reactions. According to the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, the most important property of hyaluronic acid is its high moisture retention abilities.
- Salicylic Acid – this ingredient has been used to treat skin disorders for centuries. The Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology, salicylic acid can exfoliate the outermost skin layer. It also has comedolytic properties which are essential for patients with acne.
- Caffeine – this ingredient is increasingly used in cosmetics due to its high biological activity and penetration abilities. According to the Skin Pharmacology and Physiology journal, caffeine is used in cosmetics mainly because of its anti-cellulite activity as it prevents the accumulation of fat in cells.
- Vitamin A – also known as retinol is considered important (together with its derivatives) in cellular activities such as cellular growth. It is also claimed to be efficient in the treatment of photoaging and protection of the skin against aging by the Clinical Interventions in Aging.
- Vitamin C – according to the Indian Dermatology Online Journal, vitamin C is a naturally occurring antioxidant that is used topically in the treatment and prevention of photoaging. It is also used for hyperpigmentation.
Other Ingredients: Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) and Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA), Algae extract, Antioxidant, Ceramides, Jojoba oil, Vitamin E for skin, Aloe, and more.
Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup Foundation ingredients: Methyl Trimethicone, Dipropylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Glycerin, and more.
Do Clinique Products Work?
Different skin types react differently to skin care products and that is the case with Clinique products. Since these products have been in the market from the ’60s, it has been used by many consumers who claim that they work. Apart from that, the ingredients used are popular with the beauty industry and have scientific proof for their effectiveness.
How Much Are Clinique Products?
Some of the prices of the best-selling products are;
- The Repair Wear Lesser Focus Serum -$80.00
- The Moisture Surge 72-hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator – $78.00
- The Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream With Probiotic Technology – $23.00
Clinique Benefits and Disadvantages
- Some consumers may experience breakouts
- Contains other ingredients with potential side effects like petrolatum and phenoxyethanol octinovate
Are There Any Side Effects With Clinique?
Some consumers claimed that they experienced a breakout while using some of Clinique’s products.
Get the low-down on alternatives to Clinique in the skin care product space before you make a purchase.
People Also Ask
Q: What Are Some Best-Selling Clinique Products?
A: Dramatically Different Moisturizer, Take The Day Off Makeup Remover for Lids, Lashes, and Lips, Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream With Probiotic Technology, and Clinique Pep-Start.
Q: Where Are Clinique Products Sold?
A: The company sells its products through department stores such as Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Neiman Marcus and beauty stores including Ulta and Sephora.
Q: Is Clinique Cruelty-Free?
A: Yes, it is cruelty-free. The brand claims that it does not test its products on animals.
Q: What is Clinique’s Best Product?
A: Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel has the most reviews than any other product. It has 3000 reviews on Sephora and has a rating of 4.5 stars.
Q: Does Clinique have retinol?
A: Yes, some products under this line of products contain retinol.
Q: What are the Customers Reviews on Clinique?
A: As expected there are both positive and negative reviews. However, the positive reviews outweigh the negative ones. Most consumers were impressed by the Clinique Dramatically Different Gel which they claimed is non-greasy and good for acne-prone skin. Critical reviews came from consumers who experienced a breakout after using the product.
The Final Word
Clinique’s line of products serves a diverse consumer base. Whether you want products to treat your acne, under eye bags, dark circles, crows feet and provide your skin with the ultimate skincare, this brand supposedly has your needs covered. You can get a Clinique face wash, Clinique foundation, and Clinique eyeliner all under the same roof.
Also, the company has been in business for decades and many consumers swear by it. Some of the best-selling products from Clinique have scooped awards such as the Clinique Fresh Pressed Daily Booster with Pure Vitamin C 10% which received an Allure Best of Beauty Award in 2018.
However, consumers with sensitive skin have reported experiencing breakouts after using their skin care products. So if you consider yourself to have very delicate skin, it is better to search for other products such as Image Skin Care, Instantly Ageless, SIO Beauty, and The Ordinary Skin Care.