Crow’s Feet – The Ultimate Guide
As we get older, the skin begins to develop signs of age around the face and neck. It loses hydration and becomes dryer. The amount of collagen and elastin diminishes, and this can lead to skin that is less firm and may develop deep wrinkles on the forehead. And yes, you can develop crows feet around your eyes.
Many people fear ending up with crow’s feet because they think it makes them look old. In fact, there are many lifestyle choices you can make which can lessen the chance of developing them. We’ll also discuss how to treat crow’s feet around the eyes to help eliminate the appearance of these lines.
What are crow’s feet?
Crow’s feet are the small lines that radiate out from the corner of your eyes. They are named as such because they literally look like tiny little feet imprinted by crows. They are actually mini wrinkles which form in this area of the face where the skin is very thin and vulnerable. Crows feet lines begin to form around the 30s or 40s, although it’s possible for them to develop sooner than that.
What causes crow’s feet?
If you’re curious about what causes crow’s feet, we’re about to let you know. The muscle surrounding the eye is the orbicularis oculi, and when you use it by making facial movements or expressions it pulls the skin forward and tightens it. This is one of the biggest causes of crow’s feet eyes – smiling, squinting, and other muscle movements.
In addition, with time we lose significant collagen and elastin in the skin. When the skin is less firm and flexible, it can develop wrinkles and lines more easily. In addition, the area where crows feet develop is quite delicate and tends to lose hydration more easily than the rest of the skin. This constant dry skin can contribute to developing crows feet around the eyes.
How to Prevent Crow’s Feet
There are numerous things you can do if you’re wondering how to prevent crow’s feet. If you want to avoid this problem, try some of these tips:
- Use sunscreen and sunglasses – If you want to protect your eyes, wear sunglasses when you go outside to stop dangerous UV-rays from damaging the thin, vulnerable skin in that area. In addition, make sure you apply sunblock to every part of your face, including the area around your eyes. Rays from the sun are one of the factors that can lead to crows feet develop.
- Follow a diet rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties – Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents can help repair damage to the skin, which can help prevent crow’s feet and other wrinkles. Therefore, include foods in your diet like lean meat, nuts, seafood, milk, berries, grapes, eggplant, spinach, apricots, carrots, tomatoes, fatty fish, and green leafy vegetables.
- Get a facial once a month – Although it’s expensive to do if you can manage it getting a facial once a month will do wonders for your skin and can help prevent under eye wrinkles and crows feet. It will keep your pores clean and your skin hydrated.
- Take off your makeup every night – Going to sleep without taking off your makeup can be very damaging to your skin and can lead to early aging. It clogs your pores and can dry out the surface. As a consequence, this can contribute to anti-aging features like crow’s feet around the eyes. Use a gentle, high-quality makeup remover, then cleanse your face. Dry with a towel and then apply a good night cream or moisturizer.
- Stay hydrated with water – Being dehydrated is one of the worst things you go do for your skin. Consequently, make sure you drink plenty of water every day. It will keep your body and your skin sufficiently hydrated. Extra moisture can give the skin more volume, and this smooths out lines like crow’s feet and frown lines.
- Avoid smoking and excess alcohol – There’s evidence that both smoking and drinking too much can lead to skin problems like crows feet because they can speed up aging. Accordingly, if you want to prevent this from happening, consider quitting smoking and cutting down on your alcohol.
- Follow a strict skin regimen every night and morning – One of the best preventative measures for signs of aging like crows feet is taking good care of your skin. Follow a strict regimen every morning and night using a cleanser, toner, exfoliator, and moisturizer or anti-aging cream. You’ll be much less likely to see lines early on in life.
- Change your pillow – Believe it or not, your pillow can contribute to developing wrinkles and crow’s feet. You press your face up against it all night, every night and this can lead to lines. If you want the perfect anti-aging pillow, use a travel pillow with u shape.
- Get adequate sleep – Sleeping poorly on a regular basis can have a negative impact on your skin, and it can cause early signs of aging. To keep your skin in top shape, make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep every night.
How to Treat Crow’s Feet
Suppose you’ve gone beyond prevention, and you have crows feet which are quite entrenched. Now you want to know how to treat crow’s feet, if possible. There are a few really good methods for crow feet removal.
- Chemical Peels – This is a process where a practitioner spreads a chemical solution on your face, in order to remove the top layer of skin. There are light, medium, and deep peels. This treatment can get rid of wrinkles, lines, and scars. It’s an effective crow’s feet treatment.
- Botox – Crow’s feet Botox works extremely well. It’s an injection which slows down the movement of the muscles in the face, so it appears as if there are less lines and wrinkles. Unfortunately, the Botox for crows feet cost is quite high.
- Organic Creams – There are a number of natural skin care brands like Image Skin Care, Meaningful Beauty, The Ordinary Skin Care, Advanced Dermatology, Plexaderm and Clinique Skincare which are very effective at eliminating crows feet wrinkles, dark circles, and bags under the eyes. They contain ingredients like peptides, collagen, Argireline, Vitamin E, retinol, and hyaluronic acid which make the skin firm and elastic, hydrate, and smooth out lines.
The cream for crow’s feet is usually rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, which repair damage to the skin. Herbal creams are a helpful treatment for crow’s feet. There is even specific crow’s feet eye cream.
List of Other Brands You May Want To Consider
- Nu Skin Skincare
- Dr. Perricone MD
- Nerium Skin Care
- Mario Badescu
- Crepe Erase Intensive Body Repair Treatment
- Murad Skin Care
- Mary Kay Skin Care
People Also Ask
Q: What age do you get crow’s feet?
A: Crow’s feet tend to occur around middle age (mid-20s), or perhaps a little bit before that. It is possible to get crow’s feet at a younger age but it’s not common.
Q: Why do crow’s feet appear?
A: Mostly due to repeated facial movements over the years, like smiling and squinting. They also develop because of the collagen and elastin we lose from our skin with time, which makes it sag. This can cause wrinkles.
Q: Will Botox remove crow’s feet?
A: Yes, it certainly can. In fact, Botox works really well for removing crows feet. It relaxes the muscles around the eyes, making the lines much less visible.
Q: Can dehydration cause crow’s feet?
A: Yes, it can. A lack of moisture in the skin can lead to lines developing like crow’s feet. That’s why drinking a lot of water is a good prevention technique.
Q: Are crow’s feet genetic?
A: Yes, it can be. If close family members had crows feet at a young age, then there’s a good chance that you’ll have the same problem.
The Final Word
When the signs of aging begin to appear on the face, many people find it distressing. Crow’s feet, in particular, are very visible and that makes it a feature many want to prevent or eliminate.
Fortunately, there are methods to do so. If you take good care of your health by eating antioxidant-rich foods, sleep well, drink water, take good care of your sensitive skin, and other practices you may be able to prevent them from occurring. There are also other crow feet remedies available, like chemical peels, Botox, and cream for crow’s feet such as Rodan + Fields, La Mer Cream, Nerium, Instantly Ageless, and SIO Beauty.
You can get rid of crow’s feet around the eyes but do remember that in the end, they are only lines. They give you the face character and depth that matches the wisdom of your years.