What Is Obagi?
Obagi is a line of clinical-quality skin care products manufactured in the USA. These medical-grade formulations were first created in 1988 by Dr. Zein Obagi and are only available through the brand’s network of doctors. The brand’s previous name was WorldWide Products but was later renamed to Obagi after the founder sold it in 1997.
According to Obagi, the focus of its line of products is to bring out the full potential of a user’s skin. The brand claims that the products are scientifically approved and work on different skin types. Obagi claims to work on acne, hyperpigmentation, aging, sensitive skin, and dry skin.
Are Obagi Products any Good?
Obagi products have been in the market for over three decades thus it gained a loyal following from its users. This skincare brand has been featured by beauty magazines such as New Beauty, New You, and Women’s Health. Moreover, Obagi got actress Priyanka Chopra to endorse its products.
Products such as Obagi C-RX System got good reviews from clients who were willing to purchase again. Users were impressed by the effectiveness of the product as they claimed it made them look younger
What Obagi System is Right for Me?
The Obagi line of products comes in different kits that serve different purposes. These kits include;
- Obagi Nu Derm – this system is designed to eliminate signs of aging, forehead wrinkles. It consists of a cleanser, toner, exfoliating lotion, blender, and clear.
- Obagi 360 – this system is designed for younger users to help them maintain their youthful appearance. It contains an exfoliating cleanser, a moisturizer with a broad spectrum of Obagi Sunscreen, and Hydrofactor Broad Spectrum SPF 30.
- Obagi C RX – this system also targets aging signs. The kit includes the Obagi vitamin C, C-Clarifying serum, C-therapy Night Cream, C-Cleansing gel with moisturizer, Exfoliating Day Lotion, and Zinc Oxide based sunscreen among others.
- ClenziDerm – this system is for individuals with acne-prone skin. This Obagi for acne kit contains a foaming cleanser, pore therapy cream, and therapeutic lotion. Apart from these systems, Obagi offers two in-office procedures; Obagi blue peel and Obagi facial.
Which Obagi system is best for Hyperpigmentation
The Obagi C RX system is the most effective Obagi to remove dark spots. This is because apart from targeting aging signs, this system also helps reduce hyperpigmentation. The regimen contains hydroquinone which has been approved by some studies.
What Ingredients Are in Obagi Products?
The active ingredients in some Obagi products include;
- Benzoyl Peroxide – this ingredient is present in acne-fighting products. It is widely used in the treatment of acne vulgaris according to The Journal of Dermatology. Benzoyl peroxide has two mechanisms of actions which are antiseptic and keratolytic effects. Due to this, it is recommended for both inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne.
- Glycolic Acid – this ingredient is an Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) thus present in exfoliator products. According to the Molecules journal, glycolic acid is a superficial peeling agent to improve the appearance of acne and keratosis in dermatology.
- Vitamin C – ascorbic acid is a skin brightener when used topically. According to the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, vitamin C is used in a wide range of clinical applications. It is used for anti-aging and photo-protective effects.
- Retinol – vitamin A is a fat-soluble substance that is categorized as a retinoid. It is approved as an anti-wrinkle agent that changes the appearance of the skin surface and has anti-aging effects according to Advance in Dermatology and Allergology.
- Hydroquinone – this is an effective hypopigmenting agent according to the Indian Journal of Dermatology. The study suggests that hydroquinone is effective at fading spots. Although this product contains Obagi hydroquinone, the ingredient has been banned in some countries as it is carcinogenic.
What Does Obagi Sell?
Obagi best seller products include;
- Keraphine Body Smoothing Lotion – keeps skin smooth and soft.
- Obagi Hydrate Moisturizers – keep skin hydrated. It is formulated with hypoallergenic ingredients
- Elastiderm Eye Products – this is designed to erase under eye wrinkles, fine lines, dark circles, and wrinkles around the eyes
- Retinol – Obagi with retinol products come with a strength range of 0.025% to 0.5%
- Obagi clinical – this line of products is available at Sephora.com. Example of products under this line are Obagi vitamin c Eye Brightener and Retinol 0.5 Retexturizing Cream
How Much Do Obagi Products Cost?
Obagi’s medical-grade products are quite expensive. They cost;
- Nu derm trial kit – $245.00
- Obagi C RX system – $374.00
- Clenzi Derm system – $147.00
- ELASTIderm system – $115.50
- Obagi tretinoin cream – $102.00.
As for the clinical range products at Sephora.com, the prices are lower than the medical-grade ones.
- Obagi with retinol 0.5 retexturizing cream- $55.00
- Kinetin + Rejuvenating serum- $95.00
Is Obagi Cruelty-Free?
Yes, the brand claims to be cruelty-free as it does not test its products on animals.
Who Sells Obagi Products?
Obagi products are sold through physicians and medical spas.
Do Obagi Products Work?
Going by customer reviews, this line of skincare products may work. Customers who were delighted by the results claimed that it worked in terms of teenage acne and anti-aging solutions. Most of these customers claimed they would purchase the products again.
However, like any other product, some customers did not share the same positive views. Such customers cited the high price of the product and its over-drying ingredients. One reviewer even claimed that she used Obagi to treat melasma, but instead got an irritation.
Every product works differently on different skin types. While it may work for others, it may not work for some and that is the case for Obagi.
Obagi products claim to work on various skin issues ranging from acne to aging signs. The products are usually prescribed by physicians which makes it more credible than other over the counter products. You can also get a comprehensive ‘Obagi how to use’ information on the official site. About Obagi is it worth it, this brand has been featured by several beauty magazines and for this, it is safe to say yes.
On the contrary, these products also have negative reviews from clients. A customer complained that the Nu Derm product irritated her skin. Others mentioned that the Kinetin + Hydrating Eye Cream did not work for their fine lines.
That said, you could always search for products that work for you. So if Obagi does not solve your skin issues, then consider other better products in the market such as Rodan + Fields, Proactiv, Mary Kay, and Crepe Erase.