What is Kiehl’s?
Kiehl’s is a line of skincare products that began as an apothecary in 1851. Its founder John Kiehl opened his first pharmacy in New York City. It was Irving Morse, the founder’s apprentice who expanded the pharmacy’s product variety.
The brand became popular at the time because of its “try before you buy” policy as well as providing a list of ingredients with the Kiehl’s products.
Later on, Irving’s son, Aaron Morse joined the brand and helped bring Kiehl’s to international recognition. Today, there are more than 250 Kiehl’s near me stores around the world.
BEST FOR: All skin types.
USES: Discover healthy-looking skin with formulas powered by nature and science.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Jasmonic Acid, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Hyaluronic Acid
PRICE RANGE: $30 to $100+
ABOUT THE BRAND: Kiehl’s LLC is an American cosmetics brand retailer that specializes in skin, hair, and body care products.
Who Owns Kiehl’s?
In 2000, Kiehl’s was sold to L’Oreal which is still the owner of the brand.
Is Kiehl’s Any Good?
Kiehl’s skincare products may be good considering its popularity. Its devoted consumers swear by the products which according to them work as advertised. The brand also promises that its ingredients are naturally-derived, which appeals to many skincare enthusiasts.
Which Kiehl’s Products to Use?
Kiehl’s has an extensive collection of products such as the Kiehl’s face wash, Kiehl’s hand cream, Kiehl’s serum, Kiehl’s lotion, Kiehl’s eye cream, Kiehl’s toner, and Kiehl’s vitamin c serum. As for the most popular products by this brand, they are;
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream – This is a lightweight Kiehl’s moisturizer that leaves skin hydrated without feeling or looking greasy.
- Kiehl’s Crème De Corps – this is a thick body lotion that is formulated with Shea butter and beta-carotene.
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate – This particular Kiehl’s midnight recovery formulation is a facial oil that contains primrose oil, lavender essential oil, and squalene.
Which Ingredients Are in Kiehl’s?
Some of the ingredients found in Kiehl’s best sellers include;
- Jasmonic Acid – this is a plant hormone that together with its derivatives works as signaling compounds involved in the regulation of defense and development in plants. According to the International Journal of Molecular Sciences, jasmonic acid is a stress hormone that regulates both biotic stresses (e.g pathogen attacks) and abiotic stresses (UV radiation).
- Vitamin E – this is an important fat-soluble antioxidant that has been used widely in dermatology. It is synthesized by plants and must be obtained through dietary sources. The Indian Dermatology Online Journal claims that vitamin E acts as a free radical scavenger. It also has photo-protective properties.
- Coconut Oil – Virgin coconut oil has been used traditionally as a moisturizer for those living in the tropical. Clinical studies documented in the Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine claim that coconut oil moisturizes and soothes the skin.
- Cocoa Butter – this is usually used as an anti-stretch mark ingredient. A research study in the International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology showed that the topical application of cocoa butter lotion did not reduce the development of striae gravidarum.
- Hyaluronic Acid – this is a natural, dense, and transparent component found in all living organisms. According to the International Journal of Peptide Research and Therapeutics, hyaluronic acid significantly improves skin hydration and elasticity. It also helps to reduce under eye wrinkles and frown lines.
Kiehl’s Product Reviews
Kiehl’s products have received praise from its fans. The Kiehl’s eye cream avocado, for instance, has received positive feedback because of its hydrating properties. According to one client, her dark circles disappear whenever she uses this eye treatment. A non-fan mentioned that the eye cream was too heavy to blend on the skin.
Similarly, Kiehl’s line reducing concentrate garnered positive reviews with 3.6 stars on Sephora. Customers were delighted that the concentrate reduced their forehead wrinkles and left their skins radiant.
Negative reviews were from customers who experienced breakouts Another product is Kiehl’s calendula toner which received 3.8 stars The toner was praised for healing red spots moisturizing the skin and not having alcohol However customers did not appreciate that it contained parabens.
How to use Kiehl’s?
Like with all products, Kiehl’s formulations come with a set of instructions for the customers’ correct usage. A pro tip from the brand is to layer products starting with the thinnest and finishing with the thickest. For instance, if using the Kiehl’s creamy eye treatment, you should start with a cleanser, followed by a toner, face serum, face oil, Kiehl’s eye cream (this is when the eye treatment comes in), moisturizer, and lastly, a sunscreen.
BEST & WORST of Kiehl’s Skincare! (Watch This Video By Alice)
|Beverly Hills MD Dermal Repair Complex||$39.95||Hyaluronic Acid, Saw Palmetto, Hydrolyzed Collagen, MSM, Vitamins|
|Lift Factor Plus||$79.00||Argireline, Green Tea, Niacinamide, Aloe Vera|
|Vibriance Super C Serum||$47.00||Konjac Root, Hyaluronic Acid, 3-O-Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C|
|Instantly Ageless||$69.95||Aloe, Lavender, White Camphor, Mango Fruit Extract, Spearmint, Rosemary Oil, Pine Needle, Grapefruit Extract|
|Plexaderm||$59.95||Sodium Silicate, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin|
People Also Ask
Q: Are Kiehl’s Products Organic?
A: According to the brand, products are formulated by fusing advanced scientific technology with natural plant-based remedies. However, some reviewers claim that Kiehl’s is not fully organic since the brand’s website does not offer a detailed list of ingredients.
Q: Is Kiehl’s Cruelty-Free?
A: Kiehl’s is under L’Oreal, a brand that neither tests its ingredients nor products on animals. In fact, the company is considered to be at the forefront of using alternative methods.
Q: Which Kiehl’s Moisturizer is the Best?
A: The best Kiehl’s moisturizer is Kiehl’s ultra facial moisturizer as it serves all skin types including sensitive skin. There are other moisturizers for specific skin types, but this one is all-rounded in its use.
Q: Which Kiehl’s Products Are Safe During Pregnancy?
A: The Ultra Facial Oil-free Gel Cream is a Kiehl’s for acne product which is claimed to be safe for pregnant women. However, Kiehl’s claims that it does not test products on pregnant and nursing women. The brand further recommends that expectant women should check with their physicians before using any of its products.
Where to Buy Kiehl’s Products?
You can buy Kiehl’s products from a Kiehl’s store, department stores like Macy’s, or online retail stores such as Sephora.
Kiehl’s is an established brand that has been around for supposedly more than a century. With its longstanding existence, the company may deliver skincare expertise to its client base. Moreover, some Kiehl’s products have bagged industrial awards, for instance, Kiehl’s ultra-facial cleanser won an Allure Best of Beauty Award in 2011.
And apart from best sellers, the brand sells other products like Kiehl’s avocado eye cream, Kiehl’s facial fuel, Kiehl’s for dark spots, Kiehl’s hand salve, Kiehl’s lip balm, and Kiehl’s glow formula skin hydrator.
While Kiehl’s claims that it is moving away from harmful ingredients like parabens, products like Kiehl’s ultra-facial toner may contain them. The EWG Skin Deep Database awarded Kiehl’s a 5 on its hazard score. This means that the brand falls under the “moderate hazard” classification. For this reason, some products may not be suitable for those with sensitive skin.
Ultimately, whether you go for this brand or not relies solely on you. Keep an eye on the ingredients before purchasing any product and if you have sensitive skin, do consult your dermatologist beforehand. This goes to pregnant women as well.
On the contrary, if these products do not appeal to you for one reason or the other, worry not as there are plenty of brands in the market such as Rodan and Fields, Obagi, Clinique, and Murad Skin Care.